Glass Vs Polycarbonate, which one to choose?
The Victorian Greenhouse line, the RIGA, the Riverstone Monticello greenhouses are available with either 4mm Tempered Glass or 10mm Triple Layer "X-Strong" Polycarbonate walls. Each choice has a unique set of advantages allowing you to pick the option which will work best for your needs.
👍🏼 Advantages of Tempered Glass Panels
- 🌳 Esthetics matter! Full transparency is a superior "look" for certain applications, particularly if using the greenhouse for non plant-developing purposes. Some people use these greenhouses as spas, art studios, Yoga centers, and keeping that clean look is important.
- 🌳 However, those who are using the greenhouse for growing plants, you can take advantage fully of the maximum amount of natural light.
- 🌳 Quality matters! The glass won't fade or get discolored over lifespan.
- 🌳 Yes, it is flame resistant, and that's great for schools.
- 🌳 No chemical used in the making of the Glass. The glass is also made with material that is environmentally friendly Yes we care about the environment!
- 🌳 This type of glass which is also called safety glass is made of 4 mm glass, which is thicker than the standard glass used in this industry (3 mm).
👎🏼 Disadvantages of Glass
- 🌳 Although it is really hard to break (this is not your regular glass, that's why it's called "safety glass"), it could break. The biggest enemy of a glass greenhouse, is your lawnmower.
- 🌳 Doesn't retain heat like polycarbonate during cold weather.
👍🏼Advantages of Polycarbonate Panels
- 🌳 Polycarbonate is very strudy and almost impossible to break.
- When hit by objects or in the event of heavy wind and snow, polycarbonate will resist and flex. This makes it hard to break!
- 🌳 Polycarbonate is made to diffuse the light and to block any harmful UV rays. This is great for to create an environmen that is consistent for plants.
- 🌳 Compared to glass, Polycarbonate will retain heat in a more efficient way, which is fantastic for cold weather areas.
- 🌳 The type of material used does not require a lot of mainteance, unlike glass that will required more cleaning.
👎🏼 Disadvantages of Polycarbonate Panels
- 🌳 Polycarbonate is not clear, so a lot of people prefer going for the glass.
- 🌳 It is more expensive than glass.