Glass Vs Polycarbonate, which one to choose?
The Victorian Greenhouse line, the RIGA, the Riverstone Monticello greenhouses is available with either 4mm Tempered Glass or 10mm Triple Layer "X-Strong" Polycarbonate walls. Each choice has a unique set of advantages allowing you to pick the option which will work best for your needs.
Advantages of Tempered Glass
- 🌳 Full transparency is a better "look" for some applications, especially if using the structure for non plant-growing purposes
- 🌳 Maximum amount of natural light when using structure for growing plants
- 🌳 No fading or discoloration over lifespan
- 🌳 Flame resistant
- 🌳 Glass is a chemical free, environmentally friendly material
Advantages of Polycarbonate
- 🌳 Almost impossible to break, polycarbonate will flex and resist against things like objects hitting the panels or heavy wind and snow loads
- 🌳 Blocks harmful UV rays and creates a diffused light environment that promotes consistent light conditions throughout the interior of the structure
- 🌳 Has been shown to retain heat more efficiently than glass, an advantage in cold weather growing environments
- 🌳 Low maintenance, will demand less cleaning than glass while still looking great.